Eric Clapton has long been an admirer of Bob Dylan. They met for the first time at a recording session in the early sixties. Over the years, Eric Clapton has recorded the following songs by Bob Dylan:
- Sign Language (on No Reason To Cry - 1976)
- Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door (A-side single 1975, on Timepieces - 1982)
- Walk Out In The Rain (on Backless – 1978)
- If I Don’t Be There By Morning (on Backless - 1978)
- Born In Time (on Pilgrim - 1998)
Over the past 30 years, Eric has performed these Dylan Compostions live during his concert appearances:
- Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
- Walk Out In The Rain
- Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright
- Love Minus Zero (No Limit)
- Born in Time
- My Back Pages
Bob Dylan was a surprise guest on 30 June 1999 at Eric’s benefit concert for the Crossroads Centre. That evening, the men performed “Born In Time” and “Crossroads”. The concert took place at Madison Square Garden in New York City. Only “Crossroads” made it to the official video and DVD. The concert was not released on CD.
Additionally, Eric Clapton took part in a tribute concert honoring Bob Dylan on 16 October 1992. It was released on CD and VHS Video as “Bob Dylan: The 30th Anniversary Celebration”. The video contains additional songs not included on the CD. That night, Eric performed “Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright”, “Love Minus Zero (No Limit)” “My Back Pages,” and the all-star finale of, “Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door.” This event also took place at Madison Square Garden.